Stay Calm With Sedation Options in Bicknell, IN
Some people are nervous if they are getting a complicated dental procedure, while others feel anxious no matter why they are visiting the dentist. No matter which group you belong to, sedation options in Bicknell, IN can help with relieving your dental anxiety.Dr. Williams on Sedation Options Read Transcript
We have many techniques available to help the patients that’s just a little bit apprehensive about going to the dentist, and that includes a lot of people. We do have (inaudible), a gas, “happy air” that people call it. You breathe it in as (inaudible), you breathe it out as (inaudible). It doesn’t linger in your body or anything like that, and it just kind of helps relax you and make you more at ease.
For those that are a little bit more apprehensive than that, we do do conscious sedation, which it’s a medication that you take about an hour before you come in, and then when you’re here, I’ll ask you, “On a scale of one to 10, if 10 you’re about to fall asleep, and 1 you’re ready to go shopping, where are you?” Usually, everybody will say a 4 or 5, something like that. So, we give you a little bit more, and we do that a few times until finally when I come and ask you that question, you can just kind of smile, you know? You just about ready to fall asleep.
The conscious sedation doesn’t put you to sleep, but most people fall asleep while we’re working on them, and we get a chance to see whether you snore or not when you sleep.
Our dental sedation enables you to:
- Stay relaxed throughout even lengthy procedures, like some restorative treatments
- Get the smile you’ve always wanted, with no worries about discomfort
- Overcome anxiety that prevents you from getting needed dental care
- Become less aware of smells, sounds, and sensations that disturb you
- Not be bothered by a gag reflex
If you’re interested in sedation dentistry, call (812) 220-0636 to find out more about your options.
Choose From Two Kinds of Dental Sedation
Every dental situation is different, so we offer two kinds of sedation. Laughing gas provides a light level of relaxation to take the edge off, while an oral sedative is appropriate when you need to be more deeply relaxed. Both are completely safe, and neither one involves a needle.
Our two methods are:
- Inhaled Sedation – Also called laughing gas, you receive this through a small mask worn over your nose. It takes effect almost immediately and wears off quickly too. With no lingering grogginess, you’ll be able to drive yourself home. Even young children can receive laughing gas.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – For a deeper level of relaxation, you’ll take a prescription pill about an hour before your appointment. You’ll arrive relaxed and stay that way throughout your treatment. You’ll be able to respond to questions and other communication, but you’ll be less aware of your surroundings. You may not remember much about your procedure when it’s over. Since you’ll be groggy for a while, you’ll need to arrange transportation.
We’re happy to discuss sedation options in Bicknell, IN with you in more detail, so you can choose the one that’s right for your treatment. Call Stephen K. Williams DDS & Associates for more information. Our office is especially convenient if you live or work in ZIP codes 47512, 47591, 47501, 47561, or 62439.